Wednesday, August 12, 2009

B'lore vs Chennai

Living in Chennai, for the past 15 years, I felt there is no better place, in the peninsular to spend one's life. Yeah... I was aware of its defects. Alas.. Which city is defectless? But a fortnight's stay at Bengaluru, made me think of the pros and cons of Chennai ( More of cons). The first few days at B'lore, made me feel weird and awkward. First reason being the people. They were not amicable and basically haughty. You know, you have to ask 3+ people, if you need a proper response for a question. Secondly, self help.. You move into a store, you need to read a list of directions to be followed. Employees would say, "No.. Not that way (or) No.. Thats not allowed", only after you go wrong. Damn!! And I believe, government employees are usually unwilling to help each other. A good example is the absence of a bus conductor. The driver had to take care of the tickets and yelling (calling out places)!! Well, its the driver's headache, not the public's. But you could get annoyed easily, if you had luggage and had to wait till the driver gets the ticket fare from you. And what amused me was that the lower level govt employees were almost fearless. Their response was like - "avan kadakara vennai. Come. Lets do our job" , whenever they received an order from higher authorities.

Having loved Chennai, I must say I was reluctant to remove the red glasses, through out my stay at B'lore. I had this thought hovering around always - Chennai is far better. After a week, I started looking at its other side. The roads were wide and clean, making the travel, pretty comfortable. The bus didn have to bump up and down like PTC buses of Chennai. More trees at the road ends, making the city look pleasant. Corruption... No city in the world is uncursed, when it comes to corruption. But a comparative study, divulges that Chennai is soaked with more blood. What panicked me was the news that a ration card could be procured the cost of Rs.49!! And the public could file a complaint, if it exceeds. My dad has been struggling for around 3 - 4 years, trying to get a ration card, despite letting the govt employees, burn his pocket. The traffic rules (at B'lore) are stringent and yet pursued. The traffic constable cannot simply dig into your pocket. Not an easy job there. While here, at Chennai, they could get a ransom, at every street corner. Finally needless to say.. The climate is awesome, even in summer.

Whatever the pros and cons. I would like to called a Chennaite rather than a Kannadiga/B'orian. My skin has adapted to this climatic conditions, not minding the scorching heat. The wide open Marina is enough to hod me back. Someday, we'll be far better when its govt concerned issues!!

No comments: