Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The new Don

Having grown up, under the protective cover of my maternal uncle's feathers, always thought that there is no one better who could take care of our large family. He was the Don of our family. Though we lived as nuclear families, no decision would be taken without his consent. I felt proud of having a close knit family. Any occasion, and there would be a large crowd gathered to celebrate. Small kids never had to be taught about their behaviour when at the don's residence. The works were shared under the command of the eligible leader.

It was the common business that the family shared, held us together. My uncle started his career way back, in the 80's. Being diligent and loyal, he raised to be an influential person as years passed by.As he became stable, his brothers took up the same track. He knew the portals of success, of his job and he fared well. With extraordinary analytical skills (that he hones often) and experiences, problems are just morning breakfasts. He is the Vito Corleone of our family. There are Fredo Corleones. And I thank God for not giving us Santinos. Sadly, there is no consigliere.



I would always wondered.. Who could take up his position? Who is so pensive and powerful? Well.. The answer was always a blink. It was quite recently, that I learnt, a Mikey was emerging. Though astonished, I had to accept the reality. Well, it is my brother, whom I never expected could turn out to be such a wonder. He always kept to his side and never indulged in much of family decisions. Grew, almost cut off from the family. It was recently that I went out with 3 of my cousins and brother. My cousins, who were ridiculing me, bullying, went dumb when my bro gave me a sympathetic look. And at various occasions, a gesture from him was enough to make them follow his orders. It was when he put his hands around my shoulders, which seemed like a promise, I had to admit that he has grown up to be a Micheal Corleone.

Now all I dream of, is becoming the Tom Hagen of the family.. A great challenge!!

No comments: